CAL FIRE Basic Firefighter Challenge Bridge Course-56 hoursThis is an accelerated course that provides and validates the skills and knowledge needed for the entry-level firefighter to perform his/her duties safely, effectively, and competently. The curriculum is based on CAL FIRE policy, the 2013 edition of NFPA 1001 Standard for Firefighter Professional Qualifications, the 2012 edition of NFPA 1051 Standard for Wildland Firefighter Professional Qualifications, and the 2008 edition of NFPA 472 Standard for Competence of Responders to Hazardous Materials/Weapons of Mass Destruction Incidents. The seven overarching themes of the Basic Firefighter curriculum are: general knowledge pertinent to the profession, fire department communications, fire ground operations, rescue operations, preparedness and maintenance, wildland fire suppression activities, and hazardous materials/WMD. This is an accelerated program where participants will need to show proficiency in performing the mandatory skills specific to CAL FIRE testing criteria.
DESIGNED FOR:Those who have attended a Firefighter 1 Academy (Accredited or Non-Accredited) and received a certificate of completion without receiving a CAL FIRE Basic Firefighter Certificate. Participants in this course should be interested in obtaining an entry-level position with CAL FIRE. Participants that successfully complete this course will receive a CAL FIRE Basic Firefighter Certificate.
- Certificate of Completion from Fire Fighter 1 Fire Academy (Accredited or Non-Accredited Academy)
- Minimum of Public Safety First Aid Card and a CPR card (CA Health and Safety Code 1797.182 and Title 22, Division 9, Chapter 1.5);
- Hazardous Materials, First Responder Operations (curriculum that meets or exceeds, Governor’s Office of Emergency Services, CAL FIRE, California Specialized Training Institute or State Fire Training (CSTI), Fire Service Training and Education Program (FSTEP), or IAFF);
- SFM Fire Fighter Survival Structural (California State Fire Training SFT FSTEP Course, 16 hour);
- Confined Space Awareness (State Fire Marshal FSTEP, IAFF or CAL FIRE);
- L-180 (Human Factors in the Wildland Fire Service);
- S-190 (Introduction to Wildland Fire Behavior);
- IS-100.B (Introduction to the Incident Command System (ICS 100));
- IS-700.A (National Incident Management System);
- IS-800.B (National Response Framework).
Mid Valley Regional Fire Training Center
9594 E American Ave
Del Rey , CA 93616
If you cancel class 14 days prior to the first day of class, you will receive your full registration amount.